- On May 25, 2016
Sedation dentistry can be a great solution for people who have serious fears and apprehensions about visiting the dentist. For the most part, it isn’t a specific procedure for which sedation dentistry will be recommended – it is generally recommended for certain patients.
People who may benefit from sedation dentistry
There are numerous types of patients who may aided by sedation dentistry. Here are some examples:
- A patient who doesn’t want to know what’s going on. For someone with serious dental fears, IV sedation may be the top choice. This renders them completely sedated without any idea what’s happening.
- A patient who simply wants to relax. For those who are nervous, but aren’t terrified, nitrous oxide, commonly referred to as “laughing gas” can provide a relaxed feeling that puts them at ease.
- Patients who have a gut feeling that only sedation dentistry will help them feel at ease. Some patients simply feel that they couldn’t possibly tolerate a specific procedure. In these situations, simply feeling that they couldn’t handle it could be enough to ensure they can’t handle it. Being sedated may be their best option.
- Fear that is procedure–specific. Some people have fear about specific procedures. For example, they may worry about needles or extractions used in certain treatments. They may believe that this fear will exist even if they’re working with a dentist whom they trust.
- Patients who feel their fear is irrational. Those who’ve never dealt with serious fears or phobias may think that simply knowing a fear is irrational should be enough to prevent the fear. That’s simply not the case. In fact, the truth is often the opposite – when a person knows their fear is irrational, it can actually make the fear worse.
- Patients with mental health issues. Whether depression or a panic disorder, there are numerous mental health issues that can result in sedation dentistry being a good choice for a patient.
- Patients with a top concern of getting the procedure done as quickly as possible. Sometimes patients simply want to get in and out as quickly as possible. They want to have numerous procedures done on the same day to avoid coming back for weeks at a time. In this case, sedation dentistry may be the right choice, as it can allow the dentist to perform different needed procedures at the same time.
Dr. David Brumbaugh
These are just a few of the reasons a person may choose sedation dentistry. The office of Dr. David Brumbaugh is proud to offer sedation dentistry for our patients. Please contact our office for a consultation to find out if sedation would be the right choice for your particular dental situation.